Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lit Randomness: Paul Krassner, Patti Smith, Hannah Friedman



Not much time to explore the INTERWEBS, but these are worth your time.


Interview with Paul Krassner (PK), comedian and author of Who's to Say What's Obscene: Politics, Culture & Comedy in America Today: At Identity Theory.
The best:

RB: Is there anyone today who affects pop culture like Timothy Leary did?

PK: I think there's a lot of people who would fit that description who don't get media attention. It's the old tree falling in a forest...But I've seen them on local levels, here and there. Jerry Brown, I think, is such a figure.

RB: Jerry Brown, the ex-governer of California?

PK: Right, he has a radio show. He calls himself a recovering politician and thinks that Clinton and Dole are the same. He has this program on radio on the Pacifica Network called "We the People," and he does it out of a communal situation in Oakland with volunteers and everything. I'm not sure what they're building towards, but I think he might fit that description. I think a lot of musicians fill that void for young people...
Interv. w/ Travis Elborough, Author of The Vinyl Countdown: At The Quietus (h/t Largehearted). Read my review of Elborough's book at Largehearted.

Patti Smith and Pinocchio: At Jacket Copy.

Interv. w/ Hannah Friedman, author of
Everything Sucks: Losing My Mind and Finding Myself in a High School Quest for Cool: At Salon.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails