Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pop Prick: "Whatcha Say?" by Jason Derulo

Another installment of Pop Prick by Josh Rank.



"Whatcha Say?" by Jason Derulo

Jason Derulo’s top song is downright depressing, and frankly, a little pathetic. First of all, why would he date a girl that would dump him just for being hard of hearing? Second, what kind of girl dumps a deaf guy?

“Mmmm, what’cha say?”

Throughout the song, he’s simply trying to figure out what the hell is going on. He asks her to repeat herself throughout the chorus and asks for further clarification in the verses.

“I was wrong for so long.”

Don’t blame yourself, Jason. She should have been nice enough to learn sign language for you.


“But when I become a star we’ll be living large.”

It amazes me that he wants her back, but, what do I know? Maybe she gives really good massages or something. It also amazes me that she left a deaf singer. Can you imagine how marketable that is? He at the top of the charts! He’s like Stevie Wonder except he doesn’t bump his shins on the coffee table.

“I know what I did wasn’t clever
But me and you were meant to be together.”

He’s continually blaming himself for his disability. Maybe that’s why she left him. Girls dig confidence, Jason!



“Tell me, tell me whatcha said (said)
I really need you in my life
Cuz things ain't right, girl
Tell me, tell me whatcha said (said)”

Pathetic or not, this guy got a raw deal; He’s deaf and his girl left him without saying why. I wish you all the best, Jason. But hey, you have a number 1 song now! I know you can’t hear it but people are singing your praises in dance clubs around the nation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails